Thursday, March 6, 2008

Pop Junkie hates the Glossy Pop

I forgot to tell you a crucial info about me...

I am a complete Magazine J-U-N-K-I-E.

Yes, junkie hyphenated.


The bad habit started when I was a high school freshman. At the tender (hahaha) age of 13, I discovered the joys of reading and salivating over Seventeen Magazine (US edition, Candy Mag is not part of the 90's kid bobo-reading options). And funny , the first magazine I bought was not Seventeen but the long defunct Mirabella!

I can still remember the cover photo of my very first copy of Seventeen. Non-celebrity pale girl. Brunette with blunt, heavy bangs. High Ponytail. Wearing a turtleneck top with Missoni-like prints. I told you! I remember insignificant details. I am a total Seventeen girl! Later on though, possessed with a stronger sense of glossy fixation, I eventually switched to reading YM!!

It was during my college days when the local magazines gained popularity. Candy Mag came up, MEG came up. Suddenly, high school girls need not spend Php 300-400 to buy YM's Prom Special Edition! You had it cheap ,girls.. I was hooked on Preview Magazine at that time. There WAS something that sets this mag apart from Mega/Metro. It used to have that posh, high fasyon feel before. It was my Style Bible.
Now after almost a decade of skipping meals to finance my magazine addiction, I finally mellowed down. I can survive a month or two without buying a magazine. Thats no small feat for someone as shallow as I am. But I must say, huge credit also goes to these two:
1. Fasting does not fit my lifestyle (or food appetite) anymore. Haha. Food or Magazine? FOOOD!
2. (un)Fortunately, the magazine covers are not as attractive as they used to be. Local magazines have lost its glamour in such a short time -- at least thats what I feel.
I cant say I don't buy them anymore. In fact, when I need a glossy fix, I buy Mega or Cosmo. With the exception of Teen Vogue, local mags are my first consideration! Once in a while I still get a copy of Preview, like this month. That would be Anne Curtis on the cover, looking like Mrs Lovett (half of the population must hate it, thats probably why I bought a copy!haha) Nothing groundbreaking in this issue. But at least the cover is POP DONE TASTEFULLY! You know what I mean? In the not so distant past they featured Ruffa Mae, Jolina.. I'm sure they are nice and talented, but, a style bible cover girl? And urrrgh I'm not even going to comment on their Jan-Feb 08 cover girl. I just felt PREVIEW didnt have to join the bandwagon.
I'm all for selling more magazine. PREVIEW, MEGA, METRO, feature celebs every month if you must. Even US Vogue follow the same formula (but that's another story,another league). But please, POP covers are ok, overdoing POP is not.
Peace.


No comments:

you are visitor number...